DALLAS /BUSINESS WIRE/ -- RF Monolithics Inc. (RFM) continues to innovate and improve its M2M portfolio of wireless communications products with the release today of the 11Mbps version of the company's popular Battery-Powered Wi-Fi module, the WSN802G. The WSN802G is a 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11g radio transceiver module that enables OEMs to build low-power wireless local area networking (WLAN) and sensor monitoring solutions for the global market.
Featuring GainSpan's GS1011 system on chip (SoC), the new WSN802G Revision F delivers even more features for leveraging existing Wi-Fi infrastructure, including upgraded enterprise-level security, new ad hoc network support, and master/slave SPI ports delivered in a low-power 802.11b/g RF module transceiver than can run for years on batteries.
"The 11Mbps version of the WSN802G module offers more than just more speed. Medical applications, among others, will benefit from the enterprise security, while wireless sensor network (WSN) applications can make use of the SPI port functionality to directly interface the module to sensors or low-cost microprocessors," said Tim Cutler, Director of M2M products for RFM. "The ad hoc mode simplifies commissioning for residential and commercial deployments, as well as providing a secure point-to-point capability."
The higher 11Mbps data rate provides the ability to send even more sensor or application data than the former version, WSN802G, while still maintaining years of battery life. Equally important is the enterprise-level security that comes along with the higher data rate. The upgraded WSN802G module now offers 802.1x with RADIUS support and WPA2-Enterprise security, and it complies with the security protocol created by the Wi-Fi Alliance and the IEEE 802.11i standard to secure wireless computer networks. As a result, the WSN802G offers users the same high level of enterprise security that they get with their computer network.
The ad hoc mode provides point-to-point operation, as well as another means to securely configure devices. The SPI port allows a wide array of sensors to be connected to the module without a co-processor and also allows lower cost processors to be used when one is needed.
Additional features of the WSN802G include:
- Exceptional low-power profile. The WSN802G delivers an exceptionally low-power profile and long battery life capabilities in a fully functional, certified radio module that easily connects to existing 802.11b/g infrastructure for a wide variety of sensor monitoring and WLAN applications.
- Sleep capability. The GainSpan GS1011 SoC's low average power consumption is obtained by putting the SoC to sleep between active periods. Depending upon the frequency of active periods, a single AA lithium cell can provide a battery life in excess of 5 years. When the SoC is active, its current consumption is about 150 µA, allowing a battery to adequately power the device.
- I/O and auto report capability. The WSN802G features analog, digital, and serial I/O, with configurable automatic I/O reporting that includes interval timer, interrupt, and ADC level triggers.
- Same form factor and pinout. At 1.05 sq. in., the WSN802G footprint has the same form factor and same pinout as RFM's WirelessHART XDM2510H, 802.15.4 - LPR2430 series, and ZigBee ZMN2430 series modules.
- FCC-/IC-/ETSI-Certified. The WSN802G is certified for unlicensed operation in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
Also with today's release, RFM announces that the company will provide one free WSN802G Revision F module to customers who have purchased the WSN802GDK developer kit containing the earlier version WSN802G module. Customers can request the free module from RFM technical support on the company's Web site.
RFM offers one of the broadest ranges of wireless sensor networking platforms in the market. Design engineers looking for RF module solutions look to RFM first as it has earned a reputation for outstanding support of the integration of their technology. In addition to the WSN802G Battery-Powered Wi-Fi products, RFM's M2M portfolio includes battery-powered WirelessHARTTM, ZigBee/802.15.4, proprietary mesh, and proprietary FHSS RF modules, and boxed radios.
RF Monolithics Inc., headquartered in Dallas, TX, is a provider of solutions-driven, technology-enabled wireless connectivity for a broad range of wireless applications, from individual standardized and custom components to modules for comprehensive industrial wireless sensor networks and machine-to-machine technology. For more information on RF Monolithics Inc., please visit the company on Twitter.