Ferrotec, expanding its TEM business into the automobile sector, launches thermoelectric modules for applications that include cooling and heating of batteries in electric and hybrid vehicles. The modules are custom designed devices offering highly responsive temperature control to within 0.1°C.
Allegedly, Ferrotec is the world's largest manufacturer of bismuth telluride (Bi-Te) thermoelectric modules (TEM) (Peltier Effect devices). To-date the company's TEM have mainly been used for cooling chillers, optical communications, biotechnology, air conditioners, as well as a wide range of consumer electronics.
Starting in Fall 2018, the company will focus on applications of Ferrotec-thermoelectric modules in the automobile industry. Applications include:
- Cooling laser diodes in head up displays in automobiles
- Cooling batteries of electric and hybrid cars
- Cool cup holders in car cabins
- Cooling laser devices in LIDAR technology in autonomous vehicles
- Cooling laser diodes in laser head lights
- Features of Ferrotec thermoelectric modules and technology