Hillcrest Labs’ FSP200 is promoted as a high-performance and low-power sensor hub MCU that delivers notable planar heading and six-axis IMU performance for high volume, cost conscious, consumer robotics applications. The FSP200 is viable as an integral component to SLAM navigation systems or for use as the primary navigation solution for Intelligent Walk systems.
The FSP200 combines Hillcrest Labs’ proprietary MotionEngine sensor processing software into a low-power 32-bit ARM Cortex M3 MCU. The proprietary MotionEngine software provides a high performance, high quality and low-cost solution optimized for autonomous and semi-autonomous terrestrial robots such as cleaners, mowers and service robots. When paired with an external six-axis inertial sensor (accelerometer plus gyroscope), the FSP200 delivers features that include:
- Tilt Independent Heading: Allows for proper heading output even when the driving surface is uneven, enabling rapid adjustment to obstacles or changes in flooring types;
- Bump Detection: Calibrated accelerometer output provides data to support bump detection algorithm without having to use a separate sensor;
- Inclination Detection: Provides full 3DOF robot orientation allowing detection of surface and device issues that could cause the robot to become stuck or damaged;
- Dynamic Calibration: Proprietary algorithms monitor changes in sensor performance and temperature during live operation to deliver the highest performance; and
- Sensor Independence: Several low-cost MEMS sensors from top sensor vendors are qualified for use with the FSP200 and have drivers pre-integrated.
The FSP200 fits into any design and uses common industry interfaces for chip connectivity. It can be placed directly on the robot’s main circuit board or designed into a separate module, providing manufacturers with ultimate flexibility. The turn-key component benefits developers and integrators through faster time-to-market, reductions in development time, reduced BOM cost, and the highest precision and quality.
The FSP200 is available for immediate sampling. Of course, a datasheet and documentation are available for your perusal.