Just when you thought it was a bit safer to breathe, Allied Market Research says the global electronic cigarette market is projected to reach $26,839 million by 2023, registering a CAGR of 17.4% from 2017 to 2023. In the company’s report - titled "Electronic Cigarette Market by Product Type, Flavor, and Distribution Channel: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2017-2023" - the modular product type accounted for more than half of the global market share in 2016.
For non-smokers and partakers of the traditionally tobacco filled paper tube, an electronic cigarette is a handheld device that emulates the feeling of tobacco smoking. It is a battery-operated device, which heats a liquid to generate an aerosol, commonly called a vapor, for the user to inhale. The liquid inside the electronic cigarette is usually made of nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerin, or other flavorings. There are different types of electronic cigarettes available in the market, which includes modular, rechargeable, and disposable.
Awareness of the harmful effects of conventional cigarettes, improving lifestyle and growing affluence, and technological developments by electronic cigarette manufacturers are the various driving factors, which is expected to propel the market growth from 2017 to 2023. In 2016, modular electronic cigarette accounted for the largest share in the market and is expected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. Modular electronic cigarette is the most popular among others as it can be refilled and allows the user to regulate the power delivered from the system's battery to the automizer.
Countries such as China and India consist of large smoking populations, which seek for tobacco alternatives. Thus, untapped markets in emerging economies may open new avenues for the manufacturers of electronic cigarette. Whereas, prohibition on sales, promotion, and distribution of electronic cigarette in various countries and implementation of strict legal framework hampers the market growth.
- North America is expected to maintain its dominant position in the market during the forecast period, followed by Europe.
- The tobacco flavor segment generated the highest revenue in 2016, and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 18.0% during the forecast period.
- Online distribution channel is anticipated to grow at the highest CAGR of 18.1% from 2017 to 2023.
- The U.S. accounted for more than two-fifths of the market share growing at a significant CAGR of 17.4%.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to grow at a significant CAGR of 16.9% during the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific and LAMEA collectively contributed approximately one-fifth share of the global market in 2016.
- Key players profiled in the report include Altria Group, British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, International Vapor Group, Japan Tobacco, Nicotek Llc, Njoy Inc., Philip Morris International Inc., Reynolds American Inc., and Vmr Flavours Llc.
Allied Market Research
Hong Kong: +852-301-84916
India (Pune): +91-20-66346060