VDC Reviews Worldwide Machine Automatic SafeguardingJune 18, 2008
Spending forecast highest for Asia-Pacific Region; 2007 market for the devices was $US 1647.1 million with worldwide growth predicted to reach $US 2504.3 million in 2012.
Natick, MA -- A new market study by Venture Development Corp. (VDC), covering 27 types of machine automatic safeguarding products, found the worldwide 2007 market for these devices to have been $US 1,647.1 million.
Product categories covered in the study were:
- Emergency-stop controls (2 types)
- Presence-sensing safety sensors (5 technologies)
- Programmable safety systems (safety PLCs), standalone and integrated with machine controllers
- Safety controllers/modules/relays (6 types)
- Safety interlock switches (10 types)
- Two-hand safety controls (2 types)
The worldwide market for these products is forecast to reach $US 2,504.3 million in 2012, increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.7%. Via the implementation of these products users gain cost savings in operations through more efficient operation of high-speed and powerful machinery and equipment without fear of personal injury or equipment damage. Nonetheless, many factors will determine the rate of shipment growth for these products, such as:
- Automation innovations are bringing about needs for newer equipment and machinery, including safeguarding methods and equipment for these. Often these innovations are driven by the need for higher productivity at lower cost as well as the need for new equipment or machinery for new products.
- Changing machine safeguarding safety standards, regulations and enforcement, and the pace of these changes.
- Concerns over lawsuits from non-compliance and injuries or death, and changing company safety policies.
- Increasing levels of understanding and acceptance of machine automatic safeguarding technologies in various regions and countries.
- Growth expectations in the various worldwide economies, and likely growth in levels of capital investment in manufacturing.
By far the highest overall growth rate is forecast for shipments to Asia-Pacific markets. The most significant reason for this forecast is the rapidly increasing manufacturing operations in Asia-Pacific countries with emerging economies, particularly China. Manufacturing businesses in these countries are being formed and expanded. In addition, manufacturers in other regions are moving operations to these countries with low labor costs. Part of the increases in capital investment by these firms will be the need for machine automatic safeguarding products.
In addition, governments in the Asia-Pacific region are becoming more concerned about worker safety, with stricter enforcement of standards/regulations. Also expanding the market are global firms opening manufacturing operations in the region who will tend to implement the same type of machine automatic safeguarding they use elsewhere.
Venture Development Corp.(VDC) is a technology market research and strategy consulting firm that advises clients in a number of industrial, embedded, component, retail automation, RFID, AIDC, datacom/telecom, and defense markets. Using rigorous primary research and analysis techniques, the firm helps its clients identify, plan for, and capitalize on current and emerging market opportunities. We strive to deliver exceptional value to our clients by leveraging the considerable technical, operational, educational and professional experience of our research and consulting staff. During our nearly four decades of ongoing operation, we have had the pleasure of serving most of the world's leading technology companies, many high-profile start-ups, and numerous blue-chip early and later stage investors. Our products and services consist of research reports, annual research programs, and custom research and consulting services. Founded in 1971, the firm is located in the Boston area.
Most Read Articles