Growing Demand for Green SolutionsApril 24, 2006
NORWALK, Conn. /BUSINESS WIRE/ -- EMCOR Group, Inc., a Fortune 500 leader in mechanical and electrical construction, energy infrastructure, and facilities services for a diverse range of businesses globally, has recently been awarded a number of contracts for "green" projects, providing environmentally responsible and sustainable development and construction services for clients across the country. These projects, which range from buildings to water treatment plants to municipal facilities and utilities, signal an ever-growing demand in the public and private sectors for high performance, green facility environments.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recently recognized EMCOR's significant role in the area of sustainable facilities. The federal agency commended EMCOR Facilities Services (EFS) as the first facilities services company in the mid-Atlantic region to enroll in the EPA's Resource Conservation Challenge, a national initiative that encourages companies to conserve natural resources and energy by managing materials more efficiently. As part of its participation in the EPA's program, EFS is developing a comprehensive mercury-recycling program for the region that can serve as a model for other companies, including those within the property management sector, across the nation.
"With Leadership in Energy Environmental Design (LEED) professionally accredited personnel coast to coast throughout the entire EMCOR system, we're uniquely positioned to serve the ever-increasing market demand for sustainable facilities. Part of the heritage of EMCOR, 'green' intrinsically involves disciplines in the areas of our core businesses; 75% of the U. S. Green Building Council's (USGBC) LEED certification points are addressed by the type of construction and facilities services that we perform every day," said Frank T. MacInnis, Chairman and CEO of EMCOR.
Throughout its history, EMCOR has been a leader in environmental stewardship, providing businesses and facilities in all sectors with sustainable development, construction, and maintenance services. This commitment to green was further solidified in 2005, when EMCOR began a companywide process of LEED accreditation under the guidelines of the USGBC's LEED professional accreditation program, which is considered the gold standard in environmentally friendly building and design.
"EMCOR is providing a wide range of clients with the green solutions that can help them work more efficiently and effectively while meeting or surpassing local, state, and federal environmental laws and codes. When businesses need these kind of services, they are turning to us and the expertise we possess within EMCOR Green Solutions," stated Mr. MacInnis.
"We can safely say that green building is no longer a fad, but an increasingly important way of doing business. In fact, there are several indicators that green building is becoming a business standard for the design and construction industry," stated Mr. Harvey M. Bernstein, Vice President, Industry Analytics and Alliances, for McGraw-Hill Construction. "By far, the top ranked business reason for involvement in green buildings is the decrease in operating costs of 8% - 9%. As such, this is a key driver identified by our extensive research and market review published in our landmark "2006 Green Building SmartMarket Report," which also indicates projected growth that translates to a green building market valued between $10.2 - $20.5 billion in 2010.
Illustrative of EMCOR's recent Green Solutions project awards are:
- US Steel Baghouse Detection System (Gary, Ind.). EMCOR subsidiary Hyre Electric Co. is installing and wiring multiple differential pressure sensors, transmitters, and bag leak detectors to environmentally upgrade the existing emission systems for various baghouses located throughout the steel-producing area of the facility.
- City of San Carlos Corporation Yard Solar Installation (San Carlos, Calif.). EMCOR Energy Services installed a 60 kW solar photovoltaic system that is helping to power two buildings on the city's corporation yard. The system has received public recognition in the form of an award from The Public Technology Institute.
- Southface ECO Office (Atlanta, Ga.). EMCOR subsidiary Dynalectric Company is providing design/build electrical construction services for the new offices of Southface ECO, one of the country's leading resources for green building technology. The facility will showcase state-of-the-art energy, water, and waste-reducing features and will use photovoltaic panels to provide additional solar power.
- Lake Region Water Treatment Reverse Osmosis Plant (Belle Glade, Fla.). EMCOR subsidiary Poole & Kent of Florida is performing as the general contractor for the construction of the new Lake Region Water Treatment Plant, a state-of-the-art nano-filtration facility that will provide people in the area with cleaner drinking water.
- Fort Wayne Water Pollution Control Plant (Fort Wayne, Ind.). EMCOR subsidiary Shambaugh & Son is providing all the mechanical, fire protection, instrumentation, and electrical work for the construction of a new wastewater treatment facility and buildings that will serve 200,000 people. The project will include structural and architectural work, site work, yard piping, process piping, and equipment, plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and instrumental control.
- Clark County Public Utilities Department (PUD) Solar Installation (Vancouver, Wash.). EMCOR subsidiary Dynalectric Company in Oregon designed and installed a 2.24 kW solar system called a Sunburst Array. The intent of the installation is to show Clark County PUD customers a working renewable energy installation. To that end, the installation also includes an informational kiosk for customers to find out more about how the installation works, as well as weather and power output monitoring stations.
- Columbia City Water Pollution Control Upgrade (Columbia, Ind.). EMCOR subsidiary Shambaugh & Son is providing the plumbing and HVAC work for a new water pollution control building and revised control building.
- Ohio State University Mechanical Engineering Building (Cincinnati, Ohio). EMCOR subsidiary Dynalectric Company is providing the electrical, fire alarm, and lightning protection work for the facility, a new building consisting of basement, six floors above grade, and two penthouses.
About EMCOR Green Solutions
From indoor air quality to energy services, EMCOR Green Solutions helps all types of facilities meet LEED certification ratings, boost productivity, and maximize profits. EMCOR Green Solutions is part of EMCOR Solutions, a suite of products that address even the most challenging facilities issues with: business and homeland security that protects people and facilities in unexpected events; expertise in sustainable building practices that can have a positive impact on the bottom line; plans and strategies that help ensure the continuation of an organization if the unthinkable occurs; around-the-clock and around-the-world access to facilities services; mission-critical expertise and the ability to solve problems when others can't; and preventive and predictive maintenance as well as anytime, anywhere response.
About EMCOR Group, Inc.
A Fortune 500 company with over $4.7 billion in annual revenues, EMCOR Group, Inc. is a global leader in mechanical and electrical construction, energy infrastructure, and facilities services. EMCOR gives life to new structures and sustains life in existing ones by its planning, installing, operating, and maintaining the sophisticated and dynamic systems that create facility environments, such as electrical, mechanical, lighting, air conditioning, heating, security, and power generation systems, in virtually every sector of the economy and for a diverse range of businesses around the world. EMCOR's "knowledge in action" slogan reflects its rare combination of global reach with local execution, combining the strength of an industry leader with the knowledge and care of 140 locations worldwide. The 26,000 skilled employees of EMCOR have made the company, in the eyes of leading business publications, one of America's "most admired" and "best performing." EMCOR's diversity—in terms of the services it provides, the industries it serves, and the geography it spans—has enabled it to create a stable platform for sustained results. The company's strong financial position has enabled it to attract and retain the best local and regional talent to undertake and complete the most ambitious projects and to redefine and shape the future of the construction and facilities services industry. Additional information on EMCOR can be found at the company's Web site.
Most Read Articles