TI Introduces Wireless Microcontroller PlatformApril 21, 2010
New CC430 MCUs and developer support accelerate time to market for a broad variety of applications, including building automation, metering and asset tracking.
DALLAS, TX /PRNewswire/ -- Advancing single-chip radio-frequency (RF) solutions, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE:TXN) announced the availability of its CC430F513x microcontrollers (MCUs) supported by a rich developer ecosystem offering complete, scalable hardware and software. The CC430F513x MCUs combine the world's leading ultra-low power MSP430 MCU with the high performance, sub-1GHz CC1101 RF transceiver. The CC430F513x devices offer up to 20 MIPS performance in a small package (7mm x 7mm) and support security options such as an integrated AES hardware module. TI is also expanding its LCD product offering with the CC430F61xx series of devices, providing developers with more options to meet varying design needs. With the capability to support multiple protocols and a broad frequency range, the CC430 MCUs, along with the extensive third party ecosystem, spur innovation in applications like home and building automation, smart metering, energy harvesting, asset tracking and portable medical applications. Developers can also immediately jumpstart CC430 MCU-based designs with the EM430F6137RF900 and eZ430-Chronos wireless development tools that include all the hardware design information required to develop a complete wireless project.
Key features and benefits of CC430 MCUs and third party ecosystem
- Eight devices offer non-LCD (CC430F513x) and LCD (CC430F61xx) options, as well as a range of pin count, memory and high-performance analog integration to meet varying design needs
- For LCD-based applications, the CC430F61xx MCU with integrated LCD capabilities reduces system cost and size
- Ultra-low power MSP430 MCU core and sub-1GHz CC1101 RF transceiver are combined on one chip to reduce system complexity and shrink package and printed circuit board (PCB) size by up to 50 percent compared to two-chip solutions
- Devices draw low enough current to enable battery-operated wireless networking applications that operate without servicing for several years, reducing maintenance costs and overall BOM
- eZ430-Chronos and EM430F6137RF900 are complete wireless development kits that provide all the hardware and software support necessary to instantly develop and deploy projects
- A broad, innovative third party ecosystem of hardware and software developers include AMBER Wireless, BM innovations, the DASH7 Alliance, Digikey, IAR Systems, LS Research, Sensinode, Steinbeis Transfer Center Embedded Design and Networking, and Virtual Extension
Software stacks and protocols are an important factor in making it easy and reduce time to market for developers. TI is working closely with industry leading third party developers to bring various industry accepted software stacks to customers. Examples include 6LoWPAN (building control, lighting control and smart grid), Wireless MBUS (smart metering), Opentag, an open source firmware library for DASH7(building automation, smart grid, asset tracking), VEmesh (wireless mesh smart meter and sensor networking) and BlueRobin (personal health and fitness) solutions.
Pricing and Availability
Production quantities of the CC430F513x MCUs are immediately available to order starting at $4.15 (1K units). Sampling in May, the CC430F61xx family with integrated LCD is also immediately available to order and pricing starts at $4.35 (1 K units).
Broad Portfolio of MCUs and Software
From general purpose, ultra-low power MSP430 MCUs, to Stellaris Cortex-M3-based 32-bit MCUs and high performance, real-time control TMS320C2000 MCUs, TI offers the broadest range of microcontroller solutions. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's complete software and hardware tools, extensive third-party offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE:TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries.
Most Read Articles